The number 27 is often regarded as a mythical, mysterious and quite important number across the span of time, from the Romans to the biblical age.
Here we’re going to go through twenty-seven astounding facts about this fascinating number from world records to birth of inventions, 27 really does seem to be a magic number.
So without further ado, here we go;
- The number 27 is often referred to as the trinity of trinities as 3x3x3=27, 3×3=9 and 3×9=27.
- The Planet is made up of 72% Salt water and 1% fresh water, leaving 27% of the world as land.
- Marvel’s Deadpool issue #27 holds the Guinness World Record for the most comic book characters on one cover.
- On October 27th 1939, Nylon officially unveiled their stockings to a 4,000 strong crowd of enthusiastic middle-class women starting their dominance of ladies hosiery.
- An official tennis court has a width of 27 feet.
- Both the Spanish and Hebrew alphabet have 27 letters each.
- John Steinbeck born February 27th 1902 wrote 27 books including Of Mice and Men.
- Some bands like the number that much they name their songs after it, Fall Out Boy and Dave Matthews Band both have a song called 27.
- In a Rubik’s Cube there are 27 cubes.
- The Twenty-Seven Club is a club for celebrities who died age 27 including Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison.
- On November 27th Queen’s “Somebody to Love” was released.
- The planet Uranus has 27 moons.
- The human hand has 27 bones from the scaphoid to the distal phalange.
- Bruce Lee was born on November 27th 1940, he was also one of the first people to try contact lenses.
- The Old Testament’s Leviticus has 27 chapters.
- An elephant has 27 pairs of chromosomes.
- NGC 27 is a spiral galaxy in the constellation Andromeda.
- A British army rifle platoon consists of 27 men and an officer.
- Eddie Izzard ran 27 marathons in 27 days.
- Samuel Morse, the inventor of Morse code, was born on April 27th.
- In 17 AD, to celebrate the Secular Games, Emperor Augustus commissioned ‘Carmen Saeculare’, a hymn by Horace, sang by twenty-seven boys and twenty-seven girls.
- The Roman Empire was formed in 27 BC by Augustus after Julius Caesar’s assassination.
- Book 27 of Proverbs has 27 verses.
- Lewis Carroll, the author of Alice in Wonderland was born on January 27th. A colored binding copy of Carroll’s The Hunting of the Snark with its dust jacket is worth £27,000.
- 27 of the animals used during the filming of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey died.
- On the Waterfront, a 1954 film, won the best picture at the 27th academy awards.
- Mozart was born on January 27th, 1756. Mozart also produced 27 piano concertos and 27 concert arias.
So there we have it, 27 stupendous facts about the number 27!
Although seemingly just another number, it does seem to hold some significance both in the musical world and that of a more biblical sense.
Keep an eye out for it, 27 appears more than you think…. or maybe it’s just coincidence and is nothing more than another number, who cares really? Just enjoy the facts above!