Today there are many stars who have no musical talent in their body and they still manage to become superstars just due to their hype or their social status.
But once in a while, some people break from this mold and appear as the musically talented star they were born to be.
One such man, Charlie Puth is a huge hit today and quite rightly so, with an incredible voice, he’s taken the world by storm.
Here we’re going to look at 50 fun facts about Charlie Puth.
- Charlie’s full name is Charles Otto Puth Jr.
- He is 27 years old and was born on 2nd December 1991 in Rumson, New Jersey, United States.
- Puth’s star sign is Sagittarius, putting him alongside other celebs including Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj and Vanessa Hudgens.
- Brady, Charlie’s dog and preferred wingman, is a King Charles Spaniel.
- Charlie comes from a very religious background with his mother being Jewish and his father Catholic.
- Charlie’s mother Debra actually wrote commercials for HBO.
- He has two younger siblings, Mikaela & Stephen Puth. They’re twins and were born on 13th April 1994.
- Charlie Puth is 5’9″ tall (1.8 meters).
- At 2 years old, Charlie was attacked by a dog which almost killed him and gave him his famous eyebrow slit. The slit is a center of controversy with many accusing him of doing it himself.
- Charlie learnt to play the piano from the age of 4 after his mother decided to teach him. His favorite song to play is Emily by Bill Evans.
- Charlie was called ‘Chunky Spunky Money Poofington’ by some unknown group as a child. He admitted his rather strange nickname in a Billboard interview.
- Charlie earned $600 profit when he released his first Christmas album whilst in Sixth Grade. He produced, designed and recorded the albums and donated the profits.
- Charlie broke up with his first ever girlfriend on a post-it note during an English class in 6th grade.
- At the age of twelve, Charlie participated in a summer youth jazz ensemble in Red Bank.
- In 2009 Charlie started his career with a comedy and acoustic covers YouTube channel called ‘Charlies Vlogs‘. He says his inspiration to create his YouTube was from Philip DeFranco and Dave Days.
- Charlie attended the Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School, and graduated in 2010.
- Puth was supposedly horrendously unpopular in school and was often more commonly seen at home than socializing.
- Charlie Puth didn’t attend his own school prom.
- Charlie’s first ever track and music video were for the 2010 song, These Are My Sexy Shades.
- On 10th December 2010, he released his first album called The Otto Tunes.
- Berklee College of Music boasts a whopping 200 Grammy Award winners amongst its alumni; Charlie had a scholarship and graduated from the school, with a full scholarship in music production and engineering.
- Charlie with a cover of Adele’s hit Someone Like You actually won the 2011 Perez Hilton ‘Can You Sing?’ contest.
- Ellen DeGeneres Signed Charlie to her record label eleveneleven in 2011 after he won the Can You Sing?
- In October 2012, Charlie performed at an event supporting DKMS Delete Blood Cancer, which is the world’s largest bone marrow donor center.
- On 23rd October 2013, Charlie’s second independent album was released, called Ego.
- On 11th December 2014, Puth left eleveneleven and signed on with Atlantic Records.
- In 2015, Charlie worked alongside Stevie Wonder, Jason Derulo and Keith Urban for Derulo’s ‘Everything is 4′ album as a producer.
- The Wiz Khalifa track in which Puth featured was by far one of his best songs in my opinion. The song ‘See You Again‘ was a tribute to Fast and Furious actor Paul Walker for the film’s seventh edition, following the actor’s tragic death in 2013.
- ‘See You Again‘ hit number one on the Hot 100 chart for 12 weeks. It was also shortlisted for the Song of the Year for the BBC Music Awards.
- Charlie actually took his father Charles to the 2015 AMAs.
- Charlie Puth starred in the music video for ‘Dear Future Husband‘, as Meghan Trainor’s love interest. The video was published to YouTube on 16th March 2015.
- On 1st May 2015, Charlie released a five-song extended play called ‘Some Type of Love’.
- One Call Away, the August 2015 hit track of Puth’s sold over 500,000 copies by the February of 2016! That’s almost 85,000 sales a month.
- Released on 29th January 2016, Charlie’s debut album ‘Nine Track Mind‘ reached an impressive 6 on the Billboard 200. However, Metacritic gave it a score of 37/100, making it the 15th worst reviewed album on the site.
- In 2016, Charlie appeared in an episode of NBC’s live comedy Undatable.
- In 2016, Puth was nominated for numerous Grammy Awards including Best Pop song.
- Charlie signed with Deutsch Music in 2016, he was the first ever artist to do so.
- Charlie’s 2016 tours were called Don’t Talk and Nine Track Mind, he supported acts in the 2017 Illuminate World Tour.
- Charlie Puth’s 2017 album is called ‘Voice Notes‘. The name was inspired by using the voice notes app on his iPhone.
- Charlie’s favorite meal is sesame entrée. Tootsie Pops are supposedly a favorite treat.
- Charlie loves coding. He Tweeted saying he spent most of his time in the 7th and 8th grade learning how to write code for video games.
- Selena Gomez is reported to be a very probable love interest of the 27 year old, but after his on-stage kiss with Meghan Trainor and claiming they’re “Just Friends” – anything is possible.
- Charlie is the face of a Back to School Jeans campaign for fashion giant Hollister.
- A rare attribute is the ability to have perfect pitch, Charlie Puth possesses this talent. He is able to tell you whatever note played without any guide.
- He is good friends with Shawn Mendes, and they even workout together.
- Charlie’s favorite color is green.
- Charlie couldn’t tell the time until he was 12 years old.
- Charlie’s hidden talent is that he can hula hoop really well.
- Charlie Tweeted saying that he sometimes eats breakfast in the shower!
- His Snapchat profile is notcharlieputh.
So there we have it, Charlie Puth went from a YouTube semi-star to a worldwide musical star, doing 2 tours of his own and singing with numerous musical stars over the last few years alone.
Whatever happens, keep your eyes on him – he isn’t going anywhere any time soon!