Whenever I need a new gadget or appliance Samsung comes to mind, from phones to TV’s this Korean electrical superpower are market leaders in every area of electronics particularly in the cell phone industry.
Over the last few decades they’ve been at the forefront of technological development and innovation with mind-blowing TVs and unprecedented smartphones.
Here we’re going to look at 30 facts about the electronics superstar, Samsung.
- Samsung initially sold noodles and other produce, it wasn’t until 1970 that the first electrical product was sold by Samsung; a 12 inch Black & White TV.
- Samsung are very focused on creating as much as possible in house, around 90% of Samsung equipment is made in Samsung factories.
- Six Flags and Samsung teamed up in 2016 to create North America’s first Virtual Reality Rollercoasters which used Samsung VR equipment. Following on from this, the pair have started a new collaboration to create a VR game for rollercoaster riders.
- Samsung truly are a world-wide employer, in 79 countries they employ over 236,000 staff.
- Samsung are always at the forefront of technology. They created the digital TV in 1998, the Watch phone and MP3 phone in 1999, the 3D home theatre in 2010 and the world’s first curved smartphone display in 2013.
- In 2016 Samsung shipped 306 million units worldwide that’s an increase of 283.1 million units compared to 2010.
- At one point following the release of the Samsung S3 sales reached 500 units a minute.
- Samsung are delving into the world of AI technology for their mobile devices rivalling the likes of Cortana or Siri. Samsung’s S8 was the first device to use the flagship Bixby system.
- 53,400 employees have received over 64 courses through Samsung’s HR Development Centre since 1993.
- Samsung’s Ship building sector, whose centre spans 400 million sq. feet (37.16 sq. km), builds more than 30 large ships per year.
- Samsung means three stars in Korean, Lee Byung-Chull Samsung founder decided to use the name after his vision for a company as everlasting as the stars.
- The Samsung logo we all know and recognise only came into use in 1993, prior to that there were 2 other logos, created in 1969 and 1980 respectively.
- Lee Kun Hee the chairman of Samsung made staff create a pile of 150,000 phone and fax machines before destroying them in front of the 2000-strong crowd to make a point about the new era of quality driven products.
- South Korea’s Air force has a lot to thank Samsung for. The Electronics giant actually created their first ever fighter jet the KF-16.
- In May 2017, Samsung were given permission to carry out trials of a self-driving car in South Korea.
- In 2012, Samsung invested $10.8 billion in Research and Development which was over 6% of the company’s revenue which is around a ¼ of employees or 60,000 staff.
- Samsung lost a patent battle to rivals Huawei in 2017 after claims that over 20 devices used technology that Samsung hadn’t granted permission. Worldwide Huawei are 3rd in the smart phone producers with Samsung being 1st.
- In August 2016, due to battery malfunctions, Samsung recalled 2.5 million Note 7’s.
- Samsung secured more patents that any other company worldwide with 7670 U.S. patents.
- In Samsung’s Silicon Valley US Headquarters, 34 electrical car charging ports have been installed to persuade staff to move the electrical vehicles and help commuters.
- In New York Samsung have a building called 837, known as a digital playground it’s dedicated to showing off Samsung kit, from a huge theatre display made of ninety-six 55” screens to a VR Tunnel and family focused Playroom using Galaxy View.
- As of 2013, Samsung had over 460% more employees than Apple with Samsung employing over 370,000 and Apple merely 80,000.
- Samsung are very focused on sustainability, in 2015 they began working with the UN to ensure 17 Sustainable Development Goals are met between 2016 and 2030 these include gender equality, ending hunger through sustainable agriculture and combat climate change.
- In 2014, a man killed his Thai girlfriend in their home with a Samsung Tablet after forbidding her to go on Facebook.
- All Samsung products since 2013 receive the global standard environmental certifications.
- Between 2009 and 2013, the company has $4.8 billion invested in reducing 85 million tonnes of greenhouse gases.
- Samsung was established in 1938 which is exactly 38 years prior to Apple.
- Samsung’s business empire stretches across many different areas not just technology. Its construction sector was responsible for constructing the world’s tallest building the Burj Khalifa.
- In January 2017, Lee Jae-yong Samsung’s Chief, was questioned as part of South Korea’s largest political corruption scandal according to the BBC over accusations of questionable donations.
- In February 2017 Samsung managed to secure another world first after their QLED TV managed to be the first TV ever to be capable of reaching 100 percent color volume meaning a truer picture and more defined image.
From its simple beginnings in 1938 to the worldwide empire they have today Samsung really has come a long way and today if I ask anyone to name me an electrical or mobile brand, I’d bet that over half of those people would give Samsung as an answer, this shows just how renowned the brand is worldwide and how intertwined it is with our daily lives.
Whatever happens, I can guarantee Samsung will carry on leading the charge for innovation and new technology.