The number 24, a figure that to the untrained eye seems like nothing more than a simple 2 digits but this little numerical value is anything but simple.
This figure appears everywhere, included in many religions and is the choice for many of the world’s greatest. Here we’re going to look at twenty-four facts about the number 24.
- 24 is the atomic number for the chemical Chromium, a hard silvery grey metal.
- Four and Twenty was the name of a 20th Century race-winning American racehorse. Born in 1958 the horse had a long career until retirement in 1971.
- 24 is the number of carats in 100% pure gold.
- Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey are divided into 24 sections as there actually are 24 letters in the Greek alphabet.
- The standard for film projection in the cinema is at 24 frames per second.
- The average person takes 12 seconds to count to 24.
- A portion of cantaloupe, about 1/8th of the melon, is 24 calories.
- James Dean, Lee Harvey Oswald, and Chandra Levy all died at the early age of 24.
- In Roman numerals, the number 24 is written as XXIV.
- The Laker’s Kobe Bryant, Mariner’s legend Ken Griffey Jr. and Raiders Charles Woodson all sported the number 24 jersey in their respective sports.
- According to the biblical Gospels, Christ conducted 24 miraculous cures out a total of 33 miracles.
- In both Japanese and Chinese culture, the year is split into 24 blocks of 15 days.
- There are 24 elements that make up the human body; there are also 24 coasts in the human thoracic cage.
- In terms of wedding anniversaries, the 24th is actually earthenware i.e. clay pots or glazed pottery.
- In the Christian Bible, the number 24 is used a total of 20 times, and funnily enough the number 600 is used 24 times.
- There is a total of 204 episodes in the Keifer Sutherland U.S. series 24.
- The coveted 24 hour Le Mans Race runs for, as the name suggests, 24 hours. A continuous endurance race started in 1923 and has risen to one of the top races in the world.
- A person who stays up for 24 hours straight enters a state of almost being drunk, after staying awake for an entire day you’re reaction levels are as if your blood alcohol is 0.1% which is above the drink drive limit.
- Ralph Lauren was in the army until he was 24 years old and left to join legendary clothing brand Brooks Brothers.
- A 24 sided polygon is quite the sight to see but what do we call it? A 24-sided shape is actually called an icosikaitera.
- Nicopolis was founded in 24BC by Caesar Augustus; the previously Egyptian city now resides in Greece and lasted for over 7 centuries.
- 24 is a common number in records, it’s the age of the oldest cat, the most steins carried by a German barmaid and the time limit for over 1,000 world records.
- What do the Avocado, Rice and Grasshopper have in common? They all have 24 pairs of chromosomes.
- Portugal is the 24th best country in the entire world according to a global poll, with Switzerland topping the list.
So there we have it, you once thought of the 24 as a humble number, wedged between a plethora of others but now you know the symbolism and respect this number deserves.
From the Bible to the basketball field, the astronomic to the astrologic, this figure is one of the most important numbers in the world and wherever you look it seems to creep up and surprise you.