20 Ghostly Facts About Gastly | Pokémon

Gastly Facts



Trainers, if you’re ready to delve into the shadowy side of the Pokémon world, then Gastly is your ideal tour guide.

This ghostly Pokémon has been sending shivers down our spines since its introduction in the original Pokémon games, and it’s time to uncover some of its ghastly secrets.

So, grab your Pokédex and a flashlight because we’re about to explore 20 ghostly facts about Gastly, the Pokémon that’ll leave you both spooked and fascinated.

Gastly isn’t just a Ghost-type Pokémon, but a Poison-type too! In fact, Gastly and its evolutions are the only Ghost/Poison-types around.

Speaking of evolutions, Gastly evolves into Haunter at level 25. Gastly’s final evolution, Gengar, can only happen when a Haunter is traded with another Pokémon trainer.

Gastly and its evolutions are the only Poison-type Pokémon that are weak against Dark-type moves.

While most Pokémon gain weight when they evolve, Gastly and Haunter weigh exactly the same.

Gastly first made an appearance in the first-generation Pokémon games at the Pokémon Tower.

Along with its evolutions, it was the first Ghost-type Pokémon in the franchise. They were also the only Ghost-type Pokémon in Generation I.

There’s a reason Gastly is spelled like that, rather than “ghastly”: this ghost Pokémon’s name is a combination of the words “gas” and “ghastly.”

Gastly’s Defense stats are rather pitiable: it’s tied with Weedle for the lowest Defense of a Poison-type Pokémon and has the lowest among Ghost-types.

95% of Gastly’s body is made up of poisonous gases. What’s the other 5%, you ask? Oh, just the souls of its victims.

Because it’s made up of mostly gas, Gastly is one of the lightest Pokémon, weighing just 0.2 pounds (91 grams).

Unfortunately for Gastly, because it’s so light and made up of gas, it can easily blow away in strong winds. This leads them to gather in sheltered places, like the eaves of houses.

Gastly’s gaseous body is more than just an eerie feature; it’s a practical advantage that allows this Pokémon to slip through cracks and pass through walls effortlessly.

Despite their fiendish appearance, Gastly aren’t malicious Pokémon. Instead, they’re pretty mischievous and playful and enjoy playing pranks.

Ground–type moves have absolutely no effect on Gastly, as they naturally have the “Levitate” ability.

In the wild, Gastly hunt by enveloping their prey in poisonous gas until it faints. If this fails, Gastly can also immobilize their prey using the move “Lick,” which causes paralysis.

In the first season of the Pokémon animated show, Gastly is shown to be afraid of sunlight. However, this was never mentioned again, so it may not necessarily be canonically true.

While all Pokémon can understand human speech, Gastly is one of the few rare Pokémon that can speak it! Many other Pokémon can communicate, but it’s usually by telepathy.

During beta testing of the first-generation games, Gastly’s name was just “Spirit.”

The inspiration for Gastly likely came from mythology, either from the more European will-o-the-wisps that beckon travelers into the night or the ethereal spirits of Japan‘s folklore.

Gastly and its evolutions were unable to learn any Poison-type moves until the release of Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu!

The Pokémon Gastly, Haunter and Gengar stand in a line

The next time you encounter Gastly in a Pokémon battle or while binge-watching the animated series, remember these intriguing facts that add depth to its character.

After all, Gastly is more than just a mischievous prankster; it’s a cornerstone of the Pokémon universe’s rich lore.

We hope you enjoyed this ghostly journey, and stay tuned for more Pokémon facts as we continue to explore the captivating world of these legendary creatures.

About The Author

Shash Wighton
Shash Wighton

Shash is an avid traveler and enjoyer of all good things life can throw his way. These days you'll find him teaching English and writing, while running his own campervan business.

Fact Check

We have a thorough fact-checking process and a dedicated team verifying our content for accuracy. But occasionally, we may get things wrong, or information becomes outdated. If you believe something to be incorrect, please leave us a message below.

Leave a Comment