We have compiled a small collection of amazing facts about the heart for you to impress your loved one with! The heart is a truly amazing part of the human body.
Without a working heart, we would stand no chance of living. The heart starts to beat before we are born, and will beat right up until our death.
- The average heart beats 72 times a minute! This adds up to around 100,000 times a day, and 3,600,000 a year!
- Every day the heart creates enough energy to drive a truck 20 miles.
- The heart starts to beat at around four weeks after conception, and continues to do so until your death.
- You’re more likely to have a heart attack on a Monday then on any other day of the week.
- There’s a one in three chance that your first heart attack will be your last.
- A babies heart contains the same number of cells as an adult heart but is only one-sixteenth the size!
- A newborn has a much faster heartbeat, beating from 70 to 190 beats per minute.
- A females heart is smaller than a males by about 25%. Because of this, the female heart has to beat around six times more than a male heart to pump the correct amount of blood around the body.
- The ‘thud-thud’ a heartbeat makes is the sound made by the four valves of the heart opening and closing.
- The ancient Egyptians believed that the heart, along with other major organs, had wills of their own and could move around inside the body!