Pinocchio’s Paradox

»»Pinocchio’s Paradox
  • Pinocchio's Paradox

Pinocchio’s Paradox

By Luke Ward
2016-06-10T00:12:37+00:00 Categories: Bizarre|

So there’s a good chance you’ve not heard of this before, but if Pinocchio said the statement “My nose will grow now” it would cause be a paradox…

Let me explain, as we all know, Pinocchio’s nose grows when he tells a lie, so if he said ‘my nose will grow now’ – if his nose does grow that would mean he wasn’t lying, but if he wasn’t lying, his nose wouldn’t grow.. but then his statement would be a lie… so his nose would grow.. but then the statement wouldn’t be a lie… so his nose wouldn’t grow… but yeah, you get the idea..

Basically, his nose would have to grow to make Pinocchio’s statement not a lie, but then it can’t grow otherwise the statement would not be a lie.

The Pinocchio paradox was thought of in February 2001 by an 11-year-old called Veronique Eldridge-Smith – the daughter of Peter Eldridge-Smith, who specializes in the philosophy of logic. The article was first published in the journal Analysis, and the Pinocchio paradox rapidly became popular on the Internet.

‘My nose will grow now’ is the only paradox Pinocchio can cause by saying something, for example, if he was to say, ‘I will sneeze now’, and he didn’t that would be a lie and his nose would grow. Hope this makes sense & if you’ve got any more crazy paradox’s, let us know!

2016-06-10T00:12:37+00:00 Categories: Bizarre|
Luke Ward is the founder of The Fact Site. He's a professional blogger & researcher with over 7 years experience in fact finding, SEO, web design & other internet wizardry. He loves to write about celebs, gaming, film & TV.

1. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Narciso Junior 19th July 2017 at 2:30 pm - Reply

The statement first is a lie, then it becomes true the instant after he says now… because then only then do you see that his nose grew after the lie

2. Avatar for Luke Ward
    كريم 23rd February 2017 at 9:00 pm - Reply

If pinoccio lie his nose will grow and there is no chance his teling the truth even if his nose grow because deap down still lying, in the other way he can’t say the truth because he doesn’t know if his nose will grow so he’s hopping for his nose to grow

3. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Nick 14th November 2016 at 12:21 pm - Reply

He could also say “I’m lieing” to cause a paradox. As if his statement is true then his nose should grow, however it wouldnt grow, as if it grew he would be telling the truth, but if it didnt grow then it would grow as his statment ‘i’m lieying’ would then be a lie. Etc. etc

Ravus Sapiens 18th April 2017 at 2:48 pm - Reply

Yeah, it’s a “this sentence is false” kind of thing. It’s a logical Paradox, if it Is false, then the statement is true, but if it’s true then it’s false. It cannot have values of both 1 and 0 at the same time.

Narciso Junior 19th July 2017 at 2:27 pm - Reply

Unless its pinochio in quantum

4. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Me 8th September 2016 at 1:15 am - Reply

How about I told my genie… “I wish you won’t grant my wish!”… Will the genie say, “Your wish is my command” even though I told him not to grant my wish?

5. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Cory 'Bugsy' Goodrich 27th May 2016 at 4:33 pm - Reply

It all comes down to if it believes it or not. Just because he says something false doesn’t mean he lied. If he says “My nose will grow now” and it grows, it simply means he believed it would not grow but lied about it. If he says it and his nose doesn’t grow, it means he believed it would grow but was simply wrong about it.

6. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Jom Ladan 22nd April 2016 at 8:29 am - Reply

His nose will wait for “now” to pass. If his nose doesn’t grow, then it will grow after “now”.

7. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Taim 20th April 2016 at 1:38 pm - Reply

Saying to a genie “I wish you would not grant my wish”

8. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Rovaistu Videos 15th March 2016 at 8:32 pm - Reply

what if he says “my nose will grow within a minute of now” and says nothing else for a minute…

Etienne Mostert 8th November 2016 at 10:30 am - Reply

Same thing, if he believes it to be true, then it wouldn’t grow. Lies are all about belief. If you believe something is true and it’s not. Then you’re not lying, you’re simply mistaken.

You also can’t put a timer on a lie

9. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Rovaistu Videos 15th March 2016 at 8:27 pm - Reply

but when he says “my nose will grow now”, his noise doesn’t grow, (pause in time) then it does, but not when he said NOW so he lies, his nose grows and everything is fine and not a paradox

10. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Seb Nmd 21st February 2016 at 7:37 am - Reply

But at the quantum level the nose growth would exist in two indeterminate states which could not be resolved until they were observed. So it would simultaneously be a lie and a not lie.

11. Avatar for Luke Ward
    misomalu 7th December 2015 at 11:33 am - Reply

If Pinocchio didn’t know the result of saying “My nose will grow now”, then saying “My nose will grow now” would be a false-statement, not a lie, and his nose would not grow. If he said “My nose will grow now” after observing the results of saying it the first time, he would be lying, which would make his nose grow. This only holds true if the truthfulness of a statement is based the statement itself and not the effect of said statement.

12. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Yarbles 7th December 2015 at 4:35 am - Reply

Maaan
    Nothing would happen, it wouldn’t be a lie.
    The cat in this box is dead. Without actual knowledge of the cat its not a lie.

13. Avatar for Luke Ward
    dacrovinunghi 26th September 2015 at 7:35 am - Reply

no paradox here, just infinite loop

Rovaistu Videos 15th March 2016 at 8:29 pm - Reply

no, split eventualities in time and space, a new continuum if you will

14. Avatar for Luke Ward
    dee dubya 3rd September 2015 at 2:37 pm - Reply

This conundrum is from a Star Trek episode way back… “I always lie. Everything I say is untrue.”

Rovaistu Videos 15th March 2016 at 8:30 pm - Reply

if you say I always lie, its a lie. You don’t always lie, only occasionally.

Rovaistu Videos 15th March 2016 at 8:30 pm - Reply

like just now

15. Avatar for Luke Ward
    seemeterry 13th April 2015 at 3:48 pm - Reply

Since it has never been stated that this chap lacked the ability to make his nose grow at-will, one may presume that he can, this being the case there is no issue – no paradox. He simply states my nose will grow now…and it does!

16. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Cole Spivey 2nd February 2015 at 5:27 am - Reply

I’m not sure who came up with this paradox, but no. Just no, if you use language in a way to manipulate truth tables that isn’t creating a paradox but just confusion for the sake of confusion, and either way, the statement itself as formatted isn’t a paradox at all. So, I’m confused as to the intelligence and/or journalistic integrity of whoever wrote this.

Loki311 27th July 2015 at 10:37 am - Reply

How is this not a paradox? You criticized it but you didn’t explain your logic…

Navi_1er 7th December 2015 at 12:50 am - Reply

It’s not a paradox because his nose only grows when he deliberately lies and not make false statements. Him saying his nose will grow is a false statement not a lie, see how it’s not a paradox; just the reassembly of words.

GenezA 12th July 2017 at 1:42 am - Reply

Excuse me But;

The person who created as it is said in the text, as well as the person who did originally make this was also an 11 year old, and a daughter of a man who studies the Philosophy of logic, so I don’t understand why you’re criticizing a minor and also instead of being polite and saying your point in a kind manner your first statement is literally

“I’m not sure who came up with this paradox, but no. Just no,…”

which is a rude sentence just itself…and really the entire thing is just a eleven year old girl who decided to think outside the box and use her brain to think a little differently than the rest of us and just happened to be lucky enough to see something that the rest of us didn’t.

Not trying to be rude and I’m sorry if I have been rude it was not my intention

17. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Eugen 30th July 2014 at 11:01 am - Reply

Well his nose will not grow Now and it will grow 1 second later becose he lied…

18. Avatar for Luke Ward
    YO MAMA 24th September 2012 at 12:55 pm - Reply

My nose will not grow is even worse

19. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Survivor_ks 13th June 2012 at 1:30 pm - Reply

He’s a ‘sutped guy ass’ I guess. You share so many traits. Are you the famous ‘pinokio’?

20. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Dan_ere_08_ 11th June 2012 at 10:40 pm - Reply

If he said “my nose will now grow” quite simpily the universe would just implode and kill us all

21. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Guest 28th February 2012 at 8:44 pm - Reply

good point, but you are wrong. His nose grows when he tells a lie. I like to think of it in events and order. If he said “My nose will grow now” His nose would grow, because it is a lie. BUT his nose grew, so therefore it wasn’t a lie. But then he was telling the truth by telling a lie which all mingles together and creates this crazy paradox. Understand now?

22. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Star 7th August 2011 at 1:09 am - Reply

they spelled his name wrong its Pinoccio which is italian for “Pine Eye”

Eric Milk 7th December 2015 at 4:03 am - Reply

“Pinocchio” is how they spelt the movie title, so they’re not wrong. Both spellings are right for their own reason.

23. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Hayden 8th July 2011 at 9:31 pm - Reply

This is wrong

Took me a while to find the answer

It does not depend if he is RIGHT or WRONG, it is if he is telling the TRUTH or a LIE.
    Don’t know the difference?

if he actually thought his nose was going to grow then he would be telling the truth and it wouldn’t grow,

and if he actually thought his nose was not going to grow then he would be telling a lie and it would grow,

24. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Selvin 3rd August 2009 at 6:23 am - Reply

I love pinokio!

25. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Anonymous 9th July 2009 at 2:51 pm - Reply

Can he make it grow at will??