Sunshine Coast can be found north of Brisbane and although it doesn’t have a dedicated business district is regarded as quite a large metropolitan area. If we’re going to be really precise, it’s the third largest metropolitan area in Queensland and as such, attracts quite a lot of business folk, as well as a large number of tourists.
- The Sunshine Coast used to be a home for runaway convicts. Back in 1820, while the area was still populated by Kabi Kabi Aborigines, there were three castaways called Finnegan, Parsons and Pamphlet who stayed with the natives for around 8 months. The reason it became a home for runaway convicts was simply due to being close to Brisbane, or Moreton Bay as it was called back in the day.
- The Mudjimba Island was owned by non-other than Sean Connery himself, between 1962 and 1983. He was actually married to the actress Diane Cilento who was born on the island and will always be remembered for her role as Miss Rose in The Wicker Man.
- The Glass Mountains surrounding the Sunshine Coast are a famous UFO attraction. The Queensland’s UFO research team has compiled numerous UFO reports with the earliest ones being submitted all the way back in 1956. The most interesting fact is that most of those reports have been originating around the area where the Glass House is located.
- There have also been reports of a catlike creature in the greater Buderim area that go back as early as 1800s. To make matters even stranger, the Aborigines even had a name for the elusive creature. While the ordinary folk simply referred to it as ‘The Beast of Queensland’, but the natives called it the Yarri.
- The maxim “fair dinkum” was coined on the Sunshine Coast. The story behind this is rather interesting: a convict from England that settled in that area started trading his belongings with the native Aborigines and when he tried to trade his tin can in order to get a boomerang, the tribal elder has misheard the poor fellow and “tin can” quickly became “din kum”. After that the term was quickly adopted by the rest of Aboriginals to use while trading and the rest is history.
- The Sunshine Coast was originally named Near North Coast. For eight long years people petitioned to have the name changed, and they succeeded in 1966.
- The Coast has the largest number of organic, meditation and yoga stores, as well as juice-cleansing bars when compared to other regions in the entire country. This fact has never been officially confirmed, however, most local tend to agree with it.
- The world’s second largest rock is called Mount Coolum and is found in the Sunshine Coast. The largest rock is called Uluru or Ayers Rock and lies in the southern part of the Northern Territory. The Aborigines have an old legend which states that all couples who climb Mount Coolum together will end up breaking up as a result of an ancient curse.
- Queensland is home to one the oldest know dinosaur footprints in the entire world. They are located in Winton, an outback town located 110 miles (177 km) northwest of Longreach.
- The Sunshine Coast is also home to the most photographed pub in the whole of Australia. The pub is called Ettamogah Pub, which means “place of good drinking” in native Aboriginal. The G1 Property Mooloolaba experts recommend you visit it along with the Mooloolaba beach and enjoy a day relaxing in the sun.
We hope these facts are more than enough to convince you to come and visit the Sunshine Coast and enjoy some of the numerous wonders it has to offer.