Farting is just as natural as yawning or blinking. It’s a bodily function we can’t control and it’s something we can’t avoid.
Factually talking about flatulence, there’s many an interesting little things to learn. From the speed of a fart, to why they smell, and just what exactly they’re made of, you can read all about it here with these fourteen fart-tastic facts!
- 99% of a fart is odorless.
Only 1% of a fart is made of hydrogen sulphide, the stuff that smells extremely bad. The other 99% is non-smelling stuff like carbon dioxide, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen and methane.
- In Britain, they sometimes call a fart a “Trump”.
Yup, that’s right, President Fart. There’s many a colloquialism for farting, and many more national – and even regional – variations around the world. One such is the British slang ‘Trump,” which why you’ll catch your British friends chuckling when you mention the President by name.
- Vegetarians fart more than carnivores.
Well, for the most part anyway. Generally speaking, vegetarians tend to eat more beans than their meat-eating counterparts. Beans contain carbohydrates made of molecules too large for absorption into the small intestine during digestion. Because of this, they pass into the large intestine still intact which increases certain bacteria to break them down, producing large amounts of hydrogen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide gas.
- Although vegetarians may fart more, meat-eaters’ farts smell worse.
Due to the increased sulphur in meat, more hydrogen sulphide is created during digestion when meat is broken down.
- In 2014, a study was conducted by a Flatologist Dr. Michael Levitt, M.D, which found that women produce more hydrogen sulphide during digestion and as a result their farts smell worse.
Sorry ladies, you might be the winners of fart etiquette, but you’re the losers of this one!
- The world’s oldest joke is a fart joke.
Toilet humor is global – it doesn’t matter what language you speak when we’re all unified in our bodily functions, but apparently fart jokes are also timeless as well as universal. The oldest known joke in history is a Sumerian proverb that dates back to 1900 BC that says “Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband’s lap.” What a classic.
- Farts can be highly flammable.
This is due to the fact that there’s methane and hydrogen in your farts, both of which are flammable and can be ignited. But don’t worry, you can’t explode by lighting one.
- Farts are faster than hoverboards.
A fart speeds out of you at 3.05 meters a second, that’s 7 miles per hour. So they might be faster than hoverboards, but the jury is still out on whether or not they’re more flammable!
- Your butt can tell the difference between a fart and a poop.
The tactile nerve endings in a person’s rectum can distinguish the difference in sensation caused by each. However, there is one exception: the runs! This is due to the liquid consistency which confuses your poor nerve endings.
- Although it can be uncomfortable, holding in farts isn’t lethal.
You’re not going to just puff up like big balloon then explode!
- The average person farts roughly between 14 – 22 times a day.
That’s 98 – 154 times a week, 392 – 616 times a month and 5,110 – 8,030 times a year!
- It’s impossible to go through life without farting.
Even if you were to hold them in all day every day, whilst you sleep your body’s natural functions will take over.
- In 2014, 65 year old French artist and inventor Christian Poincheval created some pills from 100% natural ingredients that aid digestion and make your farts smell like roses or chocolate.
Talk about coming up roses!
- The scientific term for a fart, “flatulence”, is derived from the Latin “flatus”, which means “blowing” and “wind”.