BTS has been taking the world by storm for a while now, and there are no signs of them slowing down. With a massive following on a global scale, if you haven’t heard of this prominent K-Pop group by now, you should start getting used to seeing them everywhere!
Here are the top 50 most awesome facts about BTS that everyone should know!
- BTS has a lot of meanings – the original one being “Bangtan Sonyeondan” which means “Bulletproof Boy Scouts” in Korean. It signifies deflecting stereotypes, criticisms, and expectations like bullets.
- The acronym now also stands for “Beyond the Scene.”
- BTS consists of seven male members – Jin, Suga, J-Hppe, RM, V, Jungkook, and Jimin. The “leader” is RM.
- This popular K-Pop group wasn’t self-created – an entertainment company called Big Heat Entertainment held auditions to recruit members starting in 2010.
- The ultimate group wasn’t finalized until 2013.
- BTS started gaining attention six months before their debut due to their presence on social media and song covers.
- In March 2016, Forbes listed BTS as the most re-tweeted artist.
- BTS released 29 music videos and 22 singles in just 6 years from 2013 to 2018.
- The first album released by BTS was “Dark and Wild” which came out on August 19, 2014.
- BTS put on their own variety show which they starred in called “Rookie King: Channel Bangtan.”
- As of July 2018, BTS has won 53 awards since their formation.
- BTS is known for their lyrics that touch on sensitive topics like school bullying, societal ideals, mental health issues, suicide, nihilism, and female empowerment.
- RM’s initials stand for “Rap Monster,” but his full name is actually Kim Nam-joon.
- RM learned English by watching the popular American sitcom “Friends.”
- RM is also the only member who can carry a conversation in English.
- BTS member, Suga, is known for rapping in the band, but he also is proficient at the piano.
- Jungkook is the youngest member of the group, born on September 1st, 1997.
- Fans of BTS are called “ARMY” which is an acronym for “Adorable Representative M.C. for Youth.”
- Unlike most K-Pop bands, BTS hold a leading role in producing most of their own music. Many people believe this is an attribution to their success.
- BTS performed at the 2017 American Music Awards which was their first ever TV performance in the United States.
- BTS was the first K-Pop group to get their own Twitter emojis.
- The emoji was established as a challenge for BTS to find where their biggest fanbases were located. In the end, Brazil, Turkey, and Russia came out on top.
- BTS has sold at least 7 million albums globally as of July 2018.
- The third full-length album from BTS called “Love Yourself: Tear” launched at number one on the Billboard 200, which made them the only K-Pop group to do so.
- Their album “Love Yourself: Her” retailed more than 1.2 million copies on South Korea’s Gaon Album chart in its first month of release. It became the biggest selling Korean album by month in 16 years.