23 Flares 23 Flares ×
Swans are beautiful birds, they are the largest members of the duck and goose family, check out these top fifteen fun facts about swans!
- A swan will mate for life.
- Black swans are native to Australia.
- A male swan is called a cob, and a female swan is called a pen.
- The black necked swan lives in South America.
- Swans begin breeding between the ages of 3-4.
- Swan eggs take between 35 and 42 days to hatch.
- Swans can fly as fast as 60 miles per hour!
- A baby swan is called a cygnet.
- Cygnophobia or kiknophobia is the fear of swans.
- Swans are highly intelligent and remember who has been kind to them, or not.
- In 2001, a man in Ireland had his leg broken by a swan when he was trying to provoke it.
- A group of wild swans is known as a herd, however a group in captivity are called a fleet.
- There are six different species of swans.
- The swan has over 25000 feathers in its body.
- An adult male is the only bird that has a penis.