The Xbox 360 is the second video game console produced by Microsoft, the first one being just the Xbox. It has competed with the Sony PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii. Xbox 360 was first released on 22nd November 2005 and since then over 70 million Xbox 360 consoles have been sold worldwide.
There are over 1000 Xbox 360 games now and roughly 7.5 games are sold to every Xbox 360 owner. As of November 2012, the top ten best-selling games are:
- Kinect Adventures! (16.7 million units sold globally)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. (14.2 million units sold globally)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops. (13.4 million units sold globally)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. (12.8 million units sold globally)
- Halo 3. (11.5 million units sold globally)
- Grand Theft Auto IV. (9.7 million units sold globally)
- Halo: Reach. (9.1 million units sold globally)
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. (8.7 million units sold globally)
- Call of Duty: World at War. (6.7 million units sold globally)
- Gears of War 2. (6.5 million units sold globally)
There have been four kinds of Xbox 360’s produced, although only two are available to buy in shops now, which are the Xbox 360 Arcade, and Xbox 360 Elite. I think the Elite on is rather cool, it’s got a black finish and looks loads better than the white one, but of course this is more expensive.
As well as gaming, the Xbox 360 can also be used for watching movies and listening to music. Unlike the original Xbox, the 360 has wireless controllers and other accessories.
“The front of the console features a “ring of light”, which displays 4 illuminated quadrants either in red or green. When the lights turn red, the console has encountered a fault condition, the number of sectors illuminated informs a user what category the error falls into.” When the ring turns fully red, throw away your Xbox, it’s buggered, this is known as the “Red Ring of Death” and it is coming soon to an Xbox near you!
There was some special editions of the console to promote certain products, such as The Simpsons Movie and Resident Evil 5. The consoles were custom-coloured Xbox 360 models.
The standard Xbox 360 is 12.15 inches long when lying on its side. It would take roughly 485 billion Xbox 360’s laid end-to-end in order to build a bridge to the sun… and if you wanted to do that it would cost you somewhere around 50 to 100 trillion pounds! Good luck with your experiment