Everyone has that one food that makes their mouth water at the sheer mention of it, for me it’s the “Triple Whopper”, a gargantuan pile of deliciousness and it’s only found at Burger King.
Here we’re going to look at 20 mouth-watering (and sometimes eye-watering) facts about this fast food God!
- Burger King was founded in the 1950s by businessmen James McLamore and David R. Edgerton and was old to Pillsbury in 1967.
- Buffy’s Sarah Michelle Gellar’s attack on McDonald’s through Burger King’s 1981 ad campaign caused McDonald’s to sue the franchise.
- On the 11th December 1999 a toddler suffocated whilst playing with a Burger King Pokémon toy. This was the first Burger King toy related death.
- Burger King are often held as the first fast food outlet to make deals with big budget films to promote their products, in 1977 Burger King teamed up with Star Wars to sell character glasses.
- In Mattoon, U.S, a Burger King exists that has no affiliation to the franchise. The Mattoon Burger King existed before the franchise tried to move into the town.
- In Australia, Burger King is known as Hungry Jacks due to a copyright infringement of an existing company.
- The “Suicide Burger” is an off-menu 800 calorie artery clogger consisting of four burger patties and cheese slices, bacon, and special sauce.
- Burger King has a deluxe hidden system, known as the ‘Gold Card’. Held by celebs like Hugh Laurie and Jay Leno the card gives them free meals.
- Burger King branched out into Hot Dogs in recent years, promoting it on Twitter in 2016, offering a range of toppings including ‘whopper’.
- Burger King offer delivery in over 13 US states including Alabama, Virginia, Utah and Ohio.
- In Japan, and possibly America, Black Buns exist as an alternate to the plain and apparently unappealing brown bun.
- Burger King took its variety to new heights in 2016, creating the ‘Whopperito’ a Whopper burger in a flour tortilla.
- In May 2016, Burger King opened a spa in one of it’s restaurants in Helsinki, Finland!
- Worldwide, over 11 million customers visit Burger King Restaurants for their burger fix.
- Even with their success, burger king still live in the shadow of McDonald’s, advertising themselves as the ‘second largest fast food hamburger chain’.
- Burger King offer something known as the “CROISSAN’WICH” and in my opinion it decimates the McDonald’s McMuffin contender.
- Burger King was born after its owners visited a McDonald’s and were inspired to open their own version with a newly copyrighted broiler that cooked 12 burgers at once.
- In 1955 Burger King’s logo was a King atop a burger holding an oversized drink, this soon lost fashion and developed in 1969 into a bun sandwiching the words “Burger King”.
- The new logo was born in 1998 and is now a world renowned fast food icon.
- In 2010, Brazilian based 3G Capital purchased Burger King for a staggering $3.3 billion.
Whether you like Burger King or not, you have to admit their story is that of rags to riches, one couple with a dream that ends in a major worldwide brand that it is today.
From amazing burgers to some downright wacky ideas, Burger King always try to push the boundaries in the fast food game and I’m sure we’re nowhere near the end of that journey yet.