0 Flares 0 Flares ×
Here are eight words I have never heard before; I didn’t even know these things had names!
- The armhole in clothing is called an armsaye.
- The indentation at the bottom of some wine bottles is called either the kick or punt which gives added strength to the bottle but lessens its holding capacity.
- A Ferrule is the metal band on a pencil that holds the eraser in its place.
- A Keeper is the loop on a belt that keeps the end in place after it has passed through the buckle.
- The bottom part of the nose between the nostrils is called the Columella Nasi.
- The little finger or toe is called the minimus.
- An octothorpe is the ‘#’ symbol on a telephone. This is commonly known as the ‘Hash’ symbol for people in the UK, or the ‘Pound’ symbol for Americans.
- The end of a hammer head opposite the striking face is called the peen.