Kangaroos move by hopping, they swim and they can’t hop backwards!
But what other facts are there about kangaroos?
Learn about these fascinating animals here with these top 17 fast facts!
- Kangaroos are the only large animals that move by hopping.
- If you lift a kangaroo’s tail off the ground it can’t hop.
- A male kangaroo is called a boomer, a female is called a flyer and a baby kangaroo is a joey.
- A group of kangaroos is known as a mob.
- There are over 47 different species of Kangaroo, with the eastern gray kangaroo, being the most commonly known species.
- They use their tails for balance whilst jumping.
- Newborn joey’s are just 2.5 centimeters long at birth, or about the size of a grape.
- They cannot hop backwards.
- Kangaroos can swim.
- Kangaroos don’t fart methane, the Kangaroos body will reuse the methane and convert it into energy.
- A female kangaroo can have three babies at the same time and is able to feed them all.
- It takes 10 months for a joey to become mature and leave its mothers pouch.
- Kangaroos don’t just live in Australia, they also live in New Guinea.
- They can jump up to three times their own height.
- In the wild, kangaroos often live to the age of 6.
- In Australia, they use kangaroo tail for soup, which apparently is really tasty!
- The Pokémon Kangaskhan is based on a kangaroo.