- Red roses in general mean: beauty, love, passion and respect.
- Dark red roses/burgundy roses means: unconscious beauty.
- A single red rose means: 'I love you'.
- Red rosebuds mean: loveliness and purity.
- White roses mean: purity, innocence, secrecy, and worthiness.
- White roses at a wedding mean: happy love.
- White rosebuds symbolize girlhood.
- To be given red and white roses together means unity.
- Light pink roses mean: admiration, appreciation, gentleness, joy and sympathy.
- A dark pink rose means: "Thank you".
- Peach roses mean: "Let's get together" and modesty.
- Coral roses mean: desire.
- Lavender roses mean: enchantment and "Love at first sight".
- Yellow roses mean: care, delight, friendship, joy and new beginnings.
- A yellow rose with a red tip means: "I'm falling in love with you".
- Yellow and red roses mean: happy feelings.
- An orange rose means: desire and enthusiasm.
- Blue roses mean: the unattainable.
- Black roses mean: death and farewell.
Generally to be given a single rose of any colour means that someone is thankful to have you in their life. If these roses are thorn-less, this means the giver has fallen in love with you the first time they saw you.
Two roses entwined together are a sign that the giver would like to marry you.
A bunch of six roses signify a need to be or feel loved.
A bunch of eleven roses are a symbol that you are well and truly loved by the giver.
To be given a bouquet of thirteen roses means that you have a secret admirer.