Many of us use washing machines every day, but do we know any facts about them – apart from if you push the start button it gives you clean clothes. If the video loads slow, you can read the facts below.
- The washing machine, in the powered version that we know it, has existed since 1908, though there were previous incarnations as well.
- Before that, washing machines were hand-powered or, prior to that, simply boards or rocks that clothing was scraped against.
- A huge majority of the socks that are lost in the United States disappear in washing machines, although there are no solid theories as to why.
- Washing machines that load from the front, rather than from the top, are more efficient and clean their loads better.
- Almost a quarter of the water used in the United States is used by our washing machines.