Here’s a short video giving some interesting facts about locks. Check out the facts below if you can’t watch the video.
- Like many timeless inventions, the oldest locks were developed by the ancient Egyptians thousands of years ago.
- There are six main designs of lock that are used in a majority of doors and a few more that are used for other purposes.
- In some places of the world during the Medieval Era, town guards would have the keys to the homes, not the owners.
- The earliest locks were made of wood rather than metal, and were large and bulky.
- Pad locks were very popular among merchants and travelers and were often intricately and beautifully decorated.