Fun Facts About Graffiti

», History»Fun Facts About Graffiti
  • Star Wars Grafitti
  • Colourful Grafitti

Fun Facts About Graffiti

By Luke Ward
2017-02-11T17:00:44+00:00 Categories: Art & Design, History|Tags: |

The word graffiti comes from the Greek word ‘graphein’ which means ‘to write’. Graffiti was first found on ancient Roman architecture, although back in them days there was no such thing as spray paint, they calved images out on walls.

Spray cans are commonly used for creating graffiti as they have different nozzles for different coverage.

Most graffiti artists prefer to be called ‘writers’ and each have their own unique ‘tag’. Artists who are into graffiti have a desire for public recognition and want to see their work around town, this is why each artists tag is different… it’s kind of like a unique signature.

Graffiti can be very artistic and colourful or as simple as writing your name in black paint.

Graffiti artists who are new or inexperienced to an area are known as ‘toys’.

Graffiti is popular and can be seen in many museums and art galleries, although in many countries it is still illegal and you could be fined. It is illegal in most countries without getting the property owner’s permission first.

The Longest Graffiti Scroll was created in Pakistan on the 3rd March 2012 and it measured 1,924 metres in length, and took 274 people to complete. This is an official record and can be found in the Guinness World Record.

2017-02-11T17:00:44+00:00 Categories: Art & Design, History|Tags: |
Luke Ward is the founder of The Fact Site. He's a professional blogger & researcher with over 7 years experience in fact finding, SEO, web design & other internet wizardry. He loves to write about celebs, gaming, film & TV.

1. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Kirstyn 4th February 2015 at 8:53 pm - Reply

NEED ONE FACT ABOUT GRAFFITI

Iplay4u on YouTube 27th September 2015 at 8:45 pm - Reply

I need 2 comparisons of banksy and graffiti and 3 facts on graffiti

2. Avatar for Luke Ward
    eric 19th March 2014 at 7:30 pm - Reply

i need 50 facts on graffiti subculture anyone else can help me

Lucas 21st October 2014 at 10:18 pm - Reply

Nah we can’t bro

3. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Teddy Duncan 9th February 2014 at 8:42 pm - Reply

This website is helping me a lot

4. Avatar for Luke Ward
    live for art 15th January 2013 at 10:18 am - Reply

griffiti showes pashen in the tagger were there showeing pashen in righting showe pashen and fealing for the love of this art

5. Avatar for Luke Ward
    aminYusuf 7th November 2012 at 7:51 pm - Reply

Graffiti is trash

phoebe eyre 29th September 2014 at 8:45 pm - Reply

graffiti is a way 2 explore ur imagination on walls and places and people have diffrent opinions

Lucas 21st October 2014 at 10:19 pm - Reply

Say it again

6. Avatar for Luke Ward
    keisha villa ortiz 12th October 2012 at 8:04 pm - Reply

graffiti is like the best art in the world………….

7. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Morgan Griffin 11th September 2012 at 9:36 pm - Reply

I still have some questions, this is for a project in art:
    Besides getting their names in as many places as they could, what did graffiti artists want to accomplish?
    What were the style wars back in the 1970s (need 3)
    and Is graffiti gang related!!
    If you can help me that would be AWESOME!!!!
    connect with me at google+ Morgan Griffin

8. Avatar for Luke Ward
    tryabidingbythelaw 31st August 2012 at 1:23 pm - Reply

Graffiti is vandelism and illegal. If a kid cannot buy canvas it doesn’t give him or her the right to deface other people’s property. They should be made to rectify the buildings they deface and go to jail. The alternative is to offer their artist abilities to the building owner – they might be surprised how many people will allow them to paint legally.

9. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Fireflame1234 8th May 2012 at 9:43 pm - Reply

hey taggers
    dude if you get permition to graffiti on the privet property then its not vanilisium its art so please try asking first

10. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Fireflame1234 8th May 2012 at 8:32 pm - Reply

this helped me on my english papper alot thank you

11. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Princesspoodlebubble 27th April 2012 at 3:46 am - Reply

Thanks so much I am doing this project for graffiti

12. Avatar for Luke Ward
    TwIxY12 20th April 2012 at 12:28 am - Reply

Graffiti is madd bra

13. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Djmvjayangel 5th January 2012 at 3:35 pm - Reply

graffiti is art, not vandelism.It allows people to express their feelings.What if a kid cannot buy a canvas? ever think of that?

14. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Curtismilson 2nd January 2012 at 3:19 pm - Reply

dont dis the art of graffiti €

15. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Anonymous 6th March 2010 at 11:34 am - Reply

Graffiti is great! I think it is not vandalism, I think it is all art!

16. Avatar for Luke Ward
    ashley.dandrea 21st October 2009 at 4:12 pm - Reply

Hey,great blog entry. I covered a story for my campus’ newspaper publication last year about graffiti culture. I interviewed two guys who tag regularly in London, Ontario. It was interesting to discover that graffiti is a highly respected form of art for those on the streets. Tagging is not necessarily vandalism, but truly works of art. I also got the chance to speak with my local police department. The other side of the story says that writers often do work on sides of business’ walls and the reason why police want to crack down on tag artists is because it costs so much money for property owners to clean it off. BUT, on the other hand, some business owners condone graffiti and hire artists to paint ads for their shops..so the story goes both ways. I think that graffiti is acceptable if artists are painting something relevant. Those who just spray cursive words and immature images are the ones who give the culture a bad rep.

17. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Furniture 20th October 2009 at 4:30 pm - Reply

Banksy is great!!!! I have seen his work on his website. I have heard about Roman graffiti, I believe it is mostly inscriptions on the walls, funny, mocking, or obscene stuff, the type of things you may find at toilets (and they did have massive public buildings, such as baths). Those Roman graffiti are one of the only means to have an idea of the way Rome’s population actually spoke Latin, it is of an immense value when it comes to a dead language when the only documents that we have are very official. When I read your post the first thing I wondered is why you did not include caveman’s paintings, as the ones you can find in Patagonia, for example, but I gave it a thought and it makes perfect sense: they did not have an alphabet (not that we know of, at least) and they did not have paper, papyrus, etc. Great post!

18. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Kaleigh 14th October 2009 at 3:41 pm - Reply

many people automatically assume every bit of graffiti is vandalism done by hooligans in the neighbourhood. It is not always the case, I really like this article because it helps shine light on the talent that many of them have. I wish I was as artistically brilliant as them.

19. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Philip 14th October 2009 at 10:22 am - Reply

To the taggers:
    Some of it looks OK but much of it is straight-out vandalism. If you don’t own the property in question then don’t tag it no matter how much you think your ‘art’ will improve it.
    Don’t touch that which doesn’t belong to you. You would expect the same from me, wouldn’t you?

20. Avatar for Luke Ward
    The CEO Game 13th October 2009 at 10:25 pm - Reply

This article was really interesting. People interested in graffiti and the law should check out what’s going on in England with Banksy — even though tagging is illegal, his works are so popular that London is putting it to a vote whether they should leave up one of his murals!