Facts About Tattoos

», History»Facts About Tattoos
  • Tattoo Facts

Facts About Tattoos

By Luke Ward
2016-10-24T12:14:19+00:00 Categories: Art & Design, History|

Tattoos have been around for thousands of years, I heard Jesus himself had a tattoo. They used to be very fashionable and expensive although these days they are seen as cheap and horrible. However tacky they may look, tattoos are becoming more popular and are available to nearly anybody.

In 1991, a mummy was found on the border of Australia and Italy, this mummy was called Ötzi the Iceman. Ötzi has been frozen since roughly 3300BC, which is over fifty centuries ago. Ötzi had around 57 tattoos on his lower spine, behind his left knee, and on his right ankle. Although the tattoos were only dots and lines, it’s still the earliest form of tattoos we know of.

In 2002 a poll was carried out that 1 in 8 people have at least one tattoo. That was seven years ago though, so I’m pretty sure with the increasing number of young people getting tattoos, it would have gone up since then. As of 2006 36% of people from the age of 18 to 29 had at least one tattoo.

New tattoos are venerable to sunlight, even after it’s healed, so be extra careful to avoid direct sunlight and wear suitable clothing to protect your tattoo, or decent sun cream.

There are over one hundred different colours of a tattoo ink, so you should find the colour you want eventually.

I don’t have a tattoo, I want one, just haven’t really got the money yet. I want one saying “Made in China” on the bottom of my foot, don’t know why really, but everything’s made in China these days. I’d also love to get a UV tattoo of a skeleton on my body. Oh and I lied about Jesus having a tattoo, I don’t think he did.

2016-10-24T12:14:19+00:00 Categories: Art & Design, History|
Luke Ward is the founder of The Fact Site. He's a professional blogger & researcher with over 7 years experience in fact finding, SEO, web design & other internet wizardry. He loves to write about celebs, gaming, film & TV.

1. Avatar for Luke Ward
    yiu 24th November 2012 at 9:31 pm - Reply

well i have a tattoos and they hurt when u get them

2. Avatar for Luke Ward
    helpfulguy 27th September 2012 at 1:25 pm - Reply

i would highly recommend against a tattoo on the bottom of your foot if it’s your first. tattoos hurt, and the bottom of your feet are sensitive.

3. Avatar for Luke Ward
    one direction 29th August 2012 at 11:53 pm - Reply

hey i love one direction

4. Avatar for Luke Ward
    xhirley 24th July 2012 at 8:56 pm - Reply

I’ve always wanted a tattoo on the bottom of my foot – barcode with my date of birth as the serial number, and “made in china” underneath.

5. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Sunfire 16th December 2010 at 5:04 pm - Reply

I think you meant the border of Austria and Italy….. Australia is no where near Italy. 😉

As cool as it would be to have a tattoo like you mention, most good tattoo artists will not tattoo the bottom of your foot. Because acupuncture is real, and affective, internal body systems could be disrupted by the tattoo needle in your foot.

Just thought I’d let you know – please don’t be offended.

6. Avatar for Luke Ward
    LoveleeMonkee 28th August 2009 at 5:50 pm - Reply

Actually, most tattoo artists won’t tattoo the bottom of your foot because it fades so fast and is especially susceptible to damage during the healing phase (which will permanently destroy the tattoo). They won’t want to do it simply because it’s a waste of their time and your money. Opt for the butt cheek…at least it’s still the bottom of something. 😉

7. Avatar for Luke Ward
    ColdRicePudding 23rd April 2009 at 5:53 pm - Reply

Thanks for correcting me there 🙂

And I had never really thought of that, I suppose it would hurt a lot having one in my foot.

8. Avatar for Luke Ward
    Sunfire 22nd April 2009 at 2:14 pm - Reply

Just thought I’d let you know – please don’t be offended.